Sheffield Victoria opened in 1845, however due to increased demand it needed an extension early on.
This was completed and the station re-opened in September 1851.
It served the famous ‘Woodhead’ route from Woodburn to Manchester,
in which three very famous trains ran from the station, these were the ‘Master Cutler’, The ‘South yorkshireman’, and the ‘Sheffield Pullman’.
The services called at many major stations such as Brighton, Nottingham Victoria, Portsmouth, Lincoln, London Kings Cross, Liverpool and many more.
Although the 1950s saw services at the station reach their peak, this period also marked the beginning of its decline.
In 1953 Barnsley was an early casualty as the line ran almost parallel to the former Midland Railway's Sheffield Midland - Barnsley line, serving mostly the same communities. By the end of the decade, the expresses to Marylebone were either cut or re-routed to Kings Cross (in the case of The Master Cutler).
In the mid-1960s there was a concerted effort to concentrate Victoria's remaining local and express train services at Sheffield Midland, leaving Victoria with just an hourly Manchester service and the daily Liverpool-Harwich "Continental".
Sadly Mr Beeching brought down the axe on Victoria and after a much publicised outcry the station closed on the 5th of January 1970.
In 1989 the station buildings were completely demolished to make way for an extension to the nearby Victoria hotel.