Lincoln Road signalbox in the village of East Markham near Retford, pictured in 1971 with railway workers having a natter!

The box was to close on the 24th of October 1976, unusually the crossing was also closed at the same time.  Access to and from the village would be from the main A57. 

Today just a dead-end road and no evidence of any signalbox or crossing existed.

The signalling  is now controlled from Doncaster PSB.

A great shot of a bit of history, a sign dated 1896 warning the public not to trespass besides the crossing or face a forty shillings penalty!

Both pictures above kindly shared by the photographer Ian. D. Nolan. 

**************************************************************************************************************************************

The pictures below are of various shots of the box and a young signalman Brian Bates Snr on duty.

All Kindly shared from Brian, via Chris Booth.










































 

hits counter
hits counter