The station was opened in 1910, built in the "Double Pavilion" style much favoured by the Great Central Railway, who, jointly with the Great Northern Railway, operated a stopping passenger service linking Doncaster and Shireoaks. The G.N.R. left this arrangement after one year, leaving the G.C.R. as the sole operator. They extended the service to Worksop in 1920. The station closed between April 1926 to April 1927 and finally in 1929.